We hope you will find this page helpful. It can be difficult to find decision-making information about your potential trip. We have gathered together some information which will help. This is a distillation of news published by the Cayman Islands government, the Cayman Compass and the Caymanian Times newspapers.
The information provided below is tailored for short-stay tourism - 5 - 14 days.
Update: 25th June 2022
To travel to Cayman as a visitor, you must be fully vaccinated. The Cayman Islands have dropped a public space mask-mandate as of end of June 2022. In addition, travellers to the Cayman Islands will no longer be required to provide a pre-arrival COVID-19 test.
Unfortunately, the government has still NOT dropped the requirement for all persons - not just head-of-family - to apply to travel to the Cayman Islands at least 72 hours prior to travel.
Short summary of current requirements with respect to fully vaccinated visitors to Cayman
- All travellers including visitors and returning residents must apply via the Travel Cayman portal. A Certificate to Travel will be issued by Travel Cayman when all documentation has been successfully reviewed and approved. You will not be permitted to board without it. Submit a Travel Declaration for each passenger no more than 30 days before and no later than 72 hours before travel date into Cayman.
- Try to avoid airlines which do not fly direct - long, long queues at TSA if you pass through an airport where you have to change terminals or gate areas requiring TSA checks - not fun! Charlotte, NC is a disaster. And check the airline reliability record - some are cancelling frequently with almost no notice.
Travel prerequisites (As at May 27 and amended Jun 25 2022)
- Permission to travel to Cayman: a Travel Declaration, must still be made to TravelCayman no less than 72 hours before the planned travel date.
- Children under 11, travelling with vaccinated adults, will no longer be required to isolate. In effect, they take on the vaccination status of their parents.
- Unaccompanied children who are not vaccinated will not be permitted to travel to Cayman
- Unaccompanied children who travel from a country with vaccination rates that are 59 per cent or lower for the first dose of the vaccine must quarantine for 7 days.
- Children of age 4 and under will not be required to be tested.
- Children of age 5 and older will have to do the same testing as adults.
You can make a Travel Declaration if you fulfill all of the following requirements:
- Have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at least two weeks (14 days) prior to date of arrival in the Cayman Islands.
- Have taken a full course of one of a WHO approved vaccine.
- Vaccine can be verified as follows:
- digital copy of a securely verifiable vaccination with a unique QR code
- If vaccine cannot be securely verified, the vaccination record, e.g. CDC card, can be uploaded to the portal if:
- travelling from a country with vaccination rates that are 60% or higher for the first dose of the vaccine, and
- where those travellers spent at least 14 days prior to the date of travel.
- Meet the Cayman Islands Phase 5 entry criteria and regulations.
To create a Travel Declaration valid for a 30-day period:
Arrival with quarantine and isolation
- Securely verifiable vaccination records are best - see Vaccination below.
- Non-securely verifiable but fully vaccinated travellers who travel from a country with vaccination rates that are 60% or higher for the first dose of the vaccine and where those travellers spent at least 14 days in that country prior to the date of travel will not be required to quarantine.
- A professionally certified lateral flow test or a PCR test is required by all travellers no matter where they are coming from.
- Non-securely verifiable fully vaccinated travellers who travel from a country with vaccination rates that are 59% or lower for the first dose of the vaccine must quarantine for 7 days, down from 10 days.
- Unvaccinated travellers will be required to quarantine for 7 days, down from 10 days.
- Exit from quarantine can be by:
- Negative Day 7 PCR test, or
- Two consecutive negative certified LFTs on Days 6 and 7
Updated Tuesday 18th November 2021: Flying to Grand Cayman (courtesy Department of Tourism and other sources)
Currently, fares to Cayman are very expensive as the few airlines servicing the islands cash-in on everyone's misfortune. However, this has started to change in January as competition steps up. Flights shown in RED are not confirmed as yet - check out an individual airline booking schedule by clicking on the airline name.
NEW YORK (JFK)
- No travel restrictions
- Cruise ships can return in limited numbers per day
- No quarantine unless not vaccinated
Updated Saturday 20th November 2021: Testing on the day before departure from the Cayman Islands
Closest location to Crescent Beach:
HEALTH CITY CAYMAN ISLANDS
High Rock, 1283 Sea View Rd, Grand Cayman
Updated Tuesday 2nd November 2021: Securely verifiable electronic vaccination certificates with QR codes (see an example on the left) which are currently accepted in Cayman are:
- Vaccination records issued by the Cayman Islands Health Services Authority;
- US CDC Vaccination cards (New)
- United Kingdom National Health Service certificates with embedded secure features or those retrieved from the NHS mobile app or website which provides a QR code;
- SMART Health Cards from issuers that are a part of the CommonTrust Network. This includes North American issuers, such as:
- State of California
- State of Louisiana
- State of Hawaii
- Parts of Maryland
- State of New Jersey
- State of New York
- New York’s digital COVID-19 vaccine app, the Excelsior Pass
- State of Utah
- Parts of Virginia
- Washington State
- Parts of Canada
- British Columbia
- Northwest Territories
- Pharmacies and Health Care providers
- Walmart Pharmacy
- Sam’s Club Pharmacy
- Rite Aid
- UC San Diego Health
- CVS Health
- UC Health
- eHealth Saskatchewan
- Express Scripts
- Kaiser Permanente
- Beth Israel Lahey Health
- BioReference Laboratories
- Bon Voyage Medical
- Cedars-Sinai Health System
- Kaiser Permanente
- Express Scripts
- eHealth Saskatchewan
Vaccination records from the European Union Member States and other countries that meet the EU Digital COVID Certificate standard; Vaccination records from Barbados Ministry of Health and Wellness. Health providers which use the MyChart (Epic) app or Cerner HealtheLife app (this is what Cayman uses).
Travellers with other vaccination certificates which are not on the list, vaccinated passengers travelling with children under the age of 12, or unvaccinated travellers, are subject to phased re-opeing rules as described in the Cayman Islands Reopening Plan.
We will try to update this list as more countries and states are added to the list.
If you have not yet been vaccinated, we urge you to do so at one of pharmacies on the list if you are not in a state offering modern vaccination records so that you have a certifiable QR-Code record. And if you are already vaccinated, make sure that your booster shot is from one of the above.